birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 01:31:17 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 6 Jun 2010.

Sun 6 Jun       Great-winged Petrels (40) Magic Pt, Maroubra (Sydney's
Eastern Suburbs)
6 of us enjoyed an afternoon sea watch from Magic Pt where fairly strong
southerlies and frequent showers drove in at least 40 Great-winged
Petrels close to the coast during the 3 hours we were there. Several
were as close as within a couple of a hundred metres from the shore. Of
the the ones that did come close they were all identified as race
macroptera, the race that we usually see during the cooler months. Also
seen were good numbers of Albatross - 30 Black-browed, 10 Yellow-nosed
and 5 Shy, 3 Giant Petrels (all juveniles), a Hutton's and a
Short-tailed and about 20 Fluttering Shearwaters, one Prion, 4 Kelp
Gulls and a Fairy Penguin heard. A couple of pods of Bottle-nosed
Dolphins and a Shark also seen.
Edwin Vella et al

        Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Wauchope
A single Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater came in to the bird bath this morning,
and was later seen feeding in a grevillea in the front yard. This is my
first record of this species east of the ranges.
Matt Hinze, Kylie Cummins

        Shy & Wandering Albatross Long Reef
An early morning visit to Long Reef produced 2 Shy Albatross and a
single Wandering Albatross in with lots of Black Browed and some Yellow
Nosed Albatross and lots of gannets. Also a Great Skua fairly close in.
A small group of White Fronted terns were on the reef itself. 8 Sooty
Oystercatchers on the beach plus the usual smattering of small waders
(R/N Stints, Turnstones, Grey Tailed Tattler and Double Banded
Dotterels)
Tom Wilson

        Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
Today on the track a single Chestnut-rumped Heathwren showed well for
about 5 seconds until disappearing into the heath. Also, I counted 13
species of honeyeater along the track. Of note: Fuscous, Brown-headed,
Scarlet, Yellow-tufted, White-eared and particularly high numbers of
both Yellow-faced and White-naped.
Henry Coleman

Sat 5 Jun       Pacific Gull, Cape Petrel and Wandering Albatross
Mistral Point, Maroubra
Great selection of birds seen this morning including :1 Pacific Gull, 1
Kelp Gull, 1 Brown Skua, 1 Great-winged Petrel, 1 Cape Petrel, 1
Wandering Albatross, 1 White-fronted Tern, 1 Northern Giant Petrel, 4
Giant Petrel (sp), 3 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 7 Shy Albatross and 35
Black-browed Albatross
David Mitford

        Wedge-tailed Eagle Castlereagh Nature Reserve
Witnessed an Australian Raven attacking the eagle just over the tree
tops at around 10:30. Lots of good honeyeater activity as well.
Ákos Lumnitzer and Graham Turner

        Grey Goshawk Western Sydney Parklands, Quakers Hill (near
Blacktown)
During our brief stay, Mark and I saw one of the Grey Goshawks that has
been seen hanging around the Western Sydney Parklands during the last
few weeks and this time at the northern Quakers Hill section. Also seen
was a Fan-tailed Cuckoo and another heard, a Peregrine Falcon circling
above, a Brown Goshawk, a group of young Red-browed Finches begging the
parents for food and heard Striated Pardalotes.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

        Swift Parrots Westminister Rd, Schofields
The Swift Parrots were still present this morning along Westminister Rd.
Chris Tzaros from VIC had 12 during the week beside St Albans Rd which
runs parallel to Westminister Rd, so its also worth checking nearby
areas. Ther was also the resident Brown Goshawk frequently causing havoc
to the Bell Miners and other birds durning this morning and quitening
some birds. Other birds seen included at least one pair of Restless
Flycatcher, lots of Dusky Woodswallows, a few Scarlet Honeyeaters
amongst the White-naped, Yellow-faced and White-plumed Honeyeaters, a
few Crested Shrike-tits, Rufous Whistlers, Double-barred Finches and
Olive-backed Orioles.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

Fri 4 Jun       Regent Honeyeater Putty Rd, Milbrodale
Single Regent feeding in a newly-flowering Ironbark at this site (not a
Narrow-leaved, which they were lerping in previously - this one looks
like a Mugga-cross). In the same tree were Red Wattlebirds,
Yellow-faceds, New Hollands, White-cheeks, White-plumed, White-napeds
and Striped HE's + Musk Lorikeets. Could easily be more Regents still
present - it was teeming rain which made it very difficult.
Mick Roderick

        Peregrine Falcon, Eastern Osprey Manly Selective Campus and
Narrabeen Lakes
Single peregrine swooping low over school today. Was very cool. Osprey
seen fishing at the lakes; it caught a massive fish! Not particularly
rare, but awesome all the same.
Henry Coleman and Nathan Ruser

Thu 3 Jun       Singing Honeyeater Smedes Road, Hunter Valley
A second location with Singing Honeyeaters in the Hunter Valley. A pair
along Smedes Road just north of Goulburn River NP. Feeding on Mistletoe
in Acacia.
Mick Roderick

        Plum-headed Finch O'Brien Crossing (near Wollar)
Good finch-spotting in and around Goulburn River NP. 12 Plum-heads at
O'Brien Crossing on Thursday afternoon (including 2 juveniles). Lots of
Reddies and Double-bars present here and elsewhere, with Zebs in a few
locations. Diamond Firetails seen at numerous locations.
Mick Roderick

        Little Tern Burrill Lake Enttrance
Mixed among 8 Caspian & 19 Crested Terns on a newly exposed sand bar was
a single Little Tern, I cant remember ever seeing any at this time of
year. The Lake entrance has been dredged opened thus dropping the lake
level and exposing islands again. App 2 wks ago 39 Royal Spoonbills were
seen roosting on the southside of the upper section of the lake. most
I've seen ever.
Bob Rusk

        White-headed Petrel and Cape Petrel Mistral Point
The low further North directing strong onshore airflow produced an
amazing 15 minute seawatch today with a White-headed Petrel, 1 Cape
Petrel, 8 Black-browed and 1 Yellow-nosed Albatross. The next few days
look very interesting weatherwise.
David Mitford

Wed 2 Jun       Mistletoebird Dee Why suburb, Newport and Bilgola -
Sydney
Mistletoebird: A medium-sized flock in a single tree in the middle of
Dee Why today. Surprising to see them so close by the side of a busy
road. White-bellied Sea-Eagle: One adult gliding off the Bilgola
Headland today. Peregrine Falcon (possibly nesting) : Swooping around
Newport Headland. Returned to a possible nest site on North Mona Vale
headland a few times. Will check this out soon. Also, of note, my first
pod of Humpback Whales for the season today of Bilgola Headland!
Henry Coleman

        Noisy Pitta Arundel Street Glebe
The bird was photographed this morning on a footpath in Glebe, Sydney,
by our daughter. It appeared exhausted and could have been in danger
from dogs or cats. It was taken to a local vet and is awaiting
collection by WIRES. The vet reported later that the bird was feeding
and drinking OK.
Rosie & Allan Pidgeon

        Black Kite Knockrow, 15km north of Ballina on the Pacific
Highway
Single bird observed gliding across the highway early morning. This
species appears to be a rare? winter nomad/ migrant to the Northern
Rivers
David Charley

Tue 1 Jun       Glossy-black Cockatoo, Scarlet Robins, Grey Goshawk,
Rockwarbler Morton National Park
A 30km 2 day hike through the Budawang mountain range yeilded
surprisingly few species. Of note were 4 Glossy-black Cockatoos, a
Rockwarbler, a Grey Goshawk (flying over), many White-throated
Treecreepers and two Scarlet Robins. Also about 10 Superb Lyrebirds
heard.
Joshua Bergmark

        Topknot Pigeon, Logrunner, Black-faced Monarch, Eastern
Bristlebird Bellawongarah on private land (nr Berry/Nowra)
30+ Topknot Pigeons, a pair of Crested Shrike-tits, Large-billed
Scrubwren, Spotted Pardalote, Logrunner and Black-faced Monarch heard.
Also heard an EASTERN BRISTLEBIRD (these have now been seen several
times on this property). Wonga and Brown Cuckoo-Dove, many Silvereyes
still passing through and feeding in the trees. Suprised to see an
Olive-backed Oriole around this time of year but it appeared to be a
juvenile. Happy Birding - Carla Jackett
Carla Jackett

        Rose Robin Castlereagh Nature Reserve
Excellent view of a gorgeous male. Other birds of note, perhaps the same
Owlet-nightjar I observed on Good Friday (in the same hollow) and
another I heard not far away. Brush Bronzewing and several honeyeater
species, as well as the (resident?) Little Eagle.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Mon 31 May      Northern and Southern Giant Petrels Magic Point,
Maroubra
8 Fairy Prions, 2 Great-winged Petrels, 42 Black-browed Albatross, 5
Yellow-nosed Albatross, 2 Shy Albatross, 1 Northern Giant Petrel, 1
Southern Giant Petrel and several other Giant Petrels not close enough
to identify seen this afternoon.
David Mitford

Sun 30 May      Osprey Port Macquarie
Two Ospreys sighted, circling and exhibiting classic fish-hunting
behaviour, in and around the newly-developed coves and inlets around
Settlement Point, The Anchorage and Portside Crescent, in Port
Macquarie. Beautiful birds in the middle of their mating season, and
also observed undertaking remarkable aerial performances, wheeling and
diving.
Dr Richard Scully

        Red-backed Fairy-wren Lower Pappinbarra, Port Macquarie
hinterland
One male in full breeding plumage with 6 brown-plumaged birds. All very
vocal and inquisitive, gathering in bushes immediately in front of me as
I walked slowly past. [Moderator's Note: this species is thinly
distributed as far S as around Gloucester. MC.]
Ian Kerr

        Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Centennial Park, Sydney
At least 80-90 birds floating beautifully over the park mid afternoon -
possibly more in the pine trees below. A large group for inner Sydney.
Eric Finley

        Osprey Terrigal Beach
A single female Osprey foraging in surf zone in front of Terrigal surf
club.
Warren Brown

        Swift Parrots (at least 6) Schofields (about 10km NW of
Blacktown CBD)
I stoped for an hour or so in the early afternoon at Schofields beside
Westminister Rd. I thought I should check out this spot for Swift
Parrots as they have turned up here more than a year ago. Besides the
colony of Bell Miners, there were 2 Olive-backed Orioles about, an
Eastern Whipbird or two, Restless Flycatcher, flocks of White-naped and
Yellow-faced Honeyeaters stopping briefly on the dead trees and then
passing on and a flock of 40 Red Wattlebirds passing through. For one
moment, I thought I heard a Swift Parrot but I thought I may have
misheard. Than a little later I heard one again. I then walked a short
distance around the corner onto Chester Street where I then saw at least
6 Swifties. There could have been more as they were in the canopy and a
bit hard to see. I took a poor photo as it was getting fairly overcast
and I had to lighten up the photo.
Edwin Vella

        Little Lorikeets Londonderry (Cnr Carrinton and Londonderry Rd)
western Sydney
About mid morning, there were about 50 Little Lorikeets feeding on a
single flowering Mugga Ironbark. A few Musk Lorikeets also joined them
briefly. In the other Mugga trees nearby were more Little Lorikeets, a
few Scaly-breasted, more Musk and some Rainbow Lorikeets as well as a
few Nosiy Friarbirds. There were other Muggas in good flower further
west from there with a lot of smaller honeyeaters.
Edwin Vella

Tue 25 May      Northern Giant Petrel 7 Mile Beach, Lennox Head
At approx 5.00pm an immature dark brown bird flew slowly, 2-3 m above
the shoreline heading north. As it passed me it turned its head and I
noted the very large bill with a slighly reddish tip.
Jo Wieneke

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea