birding-aus

RE: New Bird for Australia on Cocos

To: "'Justin Jansen'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: RE: New Bird for Australia on Cocos
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 20:37:35 +1000
Hello Justin,

I agree that these two species are very difficult to separate and it is a
shame Richard wasn't able to have another chance at better photos in the
days following his one off observation. A 100% ID for this bird probably is
a difficult ask but Richard's bird showing a half supercilium behind the eye
combined with a necklace was definitely worth getting excited about. His
bird also had plenty of yellow in the throat so possibly an adult showing
all these features, although it would have been nice to look for presence of
brownish remiges etc in an attempt to rule out 1st summer. A photo record of
hind-claw length would also have been useful. I will also quote from Alstrom
& Mild 2003, " appears to only rarely show a dark spotted necklace", this
would be a rare individual of macronyx, but not impossible I guess. " the
call of macronyx is clearly different from that of the European population
of thunbergi, but is apparently similar to the call of thunbergi from
eastern Siberia," so sound recordings in this case would be unhelpful unless
they were of the western bird, this is unlikely. It's also worth noting that
in regards to macronyx "DNA data suggests that it is not closely related to
thunbergi", it's related to the other eastern species but needs more work
done apparently because it is left in limbo for the moment it would seem, an
orphan taxa.
The main reason for my post is that I would like to encourage everyone not
to be put off by the difficulties and treat every "Grey-headed" Yellow
Wagtail to close examination in relation to the features mentioned above.
And Take lots of photos. When Alstrom  & Mild 2003 say "macronyx is not
safely separable from thunbergi" I don't think they mean completely give up
trying.

Cheers Jeff.