birding-aus

Content of messages Pt 2

Subject: Content of messages Pt 2
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 20:15:44 +0800
Hi everyone

There has been said over the last few weeks, mainly off the list, about
"commercial" postings on birding-aus. The list guidelines state that posts
should not be "of a purely commercial nature".

My interpretation is that as long as the message itself stands on its own
content (i.e. is worth posting and reading) then it's OK to have a
signature block or an address that includes business information - let's
face it, anyone with a hotmail or yahoo email account has that put in for
them by default. There are lots of shades of grey in this, and what is
perfectly acceptable to most people might seem a bit too commercial for
some.

So while I always believe that internet should offer information for free,
and as much as I don't like  "advertising" as such through groups like
birding-aus, the boundaries are often blurred, and becoming more so, I
think it is vital that people who run bird tour businesses post their
sightings on birding-aus - so it's fair that they can identify their
business. If they post poor quality information just to get their business
name in front of a whole lot of birders, or post teasers rather than real
news, they really are not doing themselves any favours!

I?ve been working on an upgrade to the Birding-Aus website lately (?WHAT
website??, I can hear most of you ask). I won?t say too much now, except
that you will be able to read birding-aus messages on the site, and do a
few other things. I?m not trying to replicate the fantastic things being
done on other birding websites ? this will just be a different way of
using the birding-aus mailing list for those who want something a bit more
blog-like instead of email. The ?normal? birding-aus will continue just as
it has in the past. More about this in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner