birding-aus

SE QLD Trip Report

To: Birding Aus <>, Tim Dolby <>, Fiona Parkin <>, John Harris <>, Stuart Dashper <>, Paul Dodd <>
Subject: SE QLD Trip Report
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:06:36 +1000
Hi all,

Just back from a brief (3.5 days) but excellent trip to SE Queensland which
incorporated the Rainbow Beach area of the Sunshine Coast, Inskip Point,
down through western Brisbane (Lake Samsonvale, Mount Mee), Binna Burra
(Lamington NP), finishing on the Gold Coast (Coolangatta).

Inskip Point, Rainbow Beach, Cooloola Way
The primary target here was of course Black-breasted Button-quail. Soon
after arriving at Inskip Point, I located 2 birds (male + female). Three
other separate birds were found over the next hour or so. Some nice birding
around here, with Mangrove Honeyeater, Fairy Gerygone, Varied Triller,
Emerald Dove, Olive-backed Oriole, Spangled Drongo, Little Shrike-thrush,
Variegated Fairy-wren and Common Tern all recorded.
I stopped a couple of times on the way back to Rainbow Beach and picked up
Scarlet, White-throated and White-cheeked Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eater,
Little and Scaly-breasted Lorikeet and Brush Cuckoo among others. Bush
Stone-curlews called at night.

Cooloola Way, Cooloola NP
This is the well-known T&T site. I arrived on dawn and immediately heard 1
Ground Parrot calling (not seen!). After 2 hours of trudging around the
tracks I was consigned to a dip. I did manage to see a couple of Southern
Emu-wren (this would have to be the most northerly point of their range) and
a covey of around 8 Brown Quail.
Most conspicuous birds here were White-cheeked and White-throated
Honeyeater, Little Wattlebird.

Gympie area down to Mt Mee, Lake Samsonvale
I only stopped briefly a few times on the way south, and checked out some
different sites. Birds of interest were Pheasant Coucal, Red-backed
Fairy-wren, Restless Flycatcher (all Mt Mee), Forest Kingfisher,
White-bellied Sea-eagle, Intermediate Egret, Double-barred Finch and others
(all Lake Samsonvale).

Binna Burra, and other sites, Lamington NP
I spent 2 days at Binna Burra Lodge which is an excellent base from which to
explore Lamington NP. I walked many of the tracks, the best being the Border
and Coomera Tracks and managed to pick up pretty much all of the local
specialties.
This is a fabulous birding area - highlights being Albert¹s Lyrebird (much
more secretive and cryptic than I had thought), Rufous Scrub-bird (2 birds
calling, but only very brief glance (after 1.5 hours) at the site, 4km down
Coomera Track), Paradise Riflebird (quite common), Russet-tailed Thrush (2
birds ­ one heard calling, one seen very well), Logrunner (quite common),
White-headed, Top-knot and Wonga Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Wompoo, Superb
and Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Grey Goshawk (crippling views from only a few
metres), Green Catbird, Regent Bowerbird, Yellow-throated and Large-billed
Scrubwren, Pale-yellow Robin and many others.

I checked out a few other sites, the best being a T&T site near O¹Reilly¹s
(a 4WD track - Duck Creek Road) in the hope of tracking down Glossy
Black-Cockatoo (no luck).
I did manage to get on to Red-browed Tree-creeper, Pacific Baza, Paradise
Riflebird and Regent Bowerbird here.

Canungra, Nindooinbah Dam (Beaudesert) and Coolangatta
On the way back, I ducked out to a site mentioned recently by Barry Davies ­
Nindooinbah Dam, which is a few kms east of Beaudesert. Some nice open
woodland here, with Speckled Warbler, Red-backed Fairy-wren, White-throated
Gerygone, Weebill, Leaden Flycatcher, Double-barred Finch, Chestnut-breasted
Mannikin and Comb-crested Jacana among others.

I managed to flush a Tawny Grassbird near the dam edge and there were also
around 10 Wandering Whistling-Duck on the dam.

The drive back through Canungra produced a couple of Pale-headed Rosella and
a few more Scaly-breasted Lorikeet.
Of note was a very late Channel-billed Cuckoo perched atop a small tree near
the Coolangatta turnoff from the Highway.

Full annotated list is attached (Excel),

Cheers,
Greg Oakley