birding-aus

Princess Parrot 2010 records

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Princess Parrot 2010 records
From: Jon King <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:34:04 -0700 (PDT)

As some subscribers to this listserve will know, in collaboration with Birds
Australia, and with the cooperation of DEC, DEH, and many other organisations
and individuals, last year I developed and now manage a database of all known
records of Princess Parrot, dating back to 1862. This is a significant
conservation research tool for this scarce and very poorly known species, which
some analyses suggest has declined historically, and which may qualify for
Endangered status.

Given the great series of records from 2008 and 2009, I know that there are
multiple trips planned to the Jupiter Well area and to Neale Junction Nature
Reserve this winter, but I am sure that there are many others I have not heard
about. In addition there are hopefully some Canning Stock Route trips planned
as well, even though myself and several others found no parrots along there in
2009. Princess Parrots could always show up anywhere within their historic
range, and the Old Gunbarrel Highway, Sandy Blight Junction Road, and anywhere
along the Anne Beadell Highway are all excellent localities, among others.

In order to keep the database as comprehensive and therefore as useful as
possible, please send any observations of this species for 2010 either to me
(jon AT calyptura.com) and/or Andrew Silcocks (a.silcocks AT
birdsaustralia.com.au). If possible please do this whether you also post the
sightings to Birding Aus or not. Failure to find birds in areas of known prior
occurrence is also significant, so please let us know about your unsuccessful
trips too!

Please forward this request to any organisation or individual for which it may
be appropriate, and feel free to contact me with any questions or requests for
further information.

Many thanks indeed for your assistance.

Jon King