birding-aus

Re Metallic Starlings near Darwin

To: <>
Subject: Re Metallic Starlings near Darwin
From: "Chris Healey" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:52:31 +1000
Back in August 2002 I observed two Metallic Starlings in my home garden in
the Darwin suburb of Millner, and published an account in 2003 in the
'Northern Territory Naturalist'.  See also HANZAB Vol 7 part 2, p 1897, at
which time this stood as the only record for the NT.  Despite the best
efforts of Darwin twitchers I believe there were no further sightings in the
area.  I suspect but cannot substantiate that the starlings I saw may have
been the eastern Indonesian subspecies (based on available descriptions of
plumage variation).  The nearest Indonesian island within the Metallic
starling's range, Tanimbar, is much closer to Darwin than eastern Cape York.
It's most interesting to hear of the Adelaide River records at a time when
the birds in Aus would normally be migrating north to New Guinea.

Chris

___

Chris Healey

East Gippsland Bird Observation & Conservation

PO Box 825, Bairnsdale, Vic 3875

Ph: (03) 5157 9036

On the web at: www.egboc.org.au

[EGBOC is a regional branch of Bird Observation & Conservation Australia]