birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:30:35 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Apr 2010.

Sun 18 Apr      Australian Koel Windmill Hill Port Macquarie
A pair of Little Wattlebirds were feeding an immature Koel today at
11.50 am and the bird hadn't moved for over an hour and a half.
Ian Kerr

        Black Noddy AND Common Noddy Long Reef, Sydney's Northern
Beaches
After a... Ribbing, from a couple of fellow birders I finally made it
down to the reef this afternoon from about 3:45 - 4:30 pm. When I
arrived I soon spotted a Noddy at the end of the shelf and then a second
Noddy, just to to the left! As I made my way up, one flew, but the other
showed well and was ID'd as the Black Noddy. Once up on the rock shelf
the Black Noddy flew, but was then joined by another Noddy and they fed
above the surf on the edge of the shelf. With the help of David Simpson,
who soon turned up, we were happy to call the other Noddy a Common, due
to the size difference, lack of white cap and greyish colouring. A very
successful twitch! Also seen, Little Penguin, Double-banded Plover,
Grey-tailed Tattler, Ruddy Turnstones and a few stints.
Max and Lloyd Breckenridge

        Glossy Black-Cockatoo Pearl Beach
Two birds seen at the end of Amethyst Street at 10am. Also Musk
Lorikeets are back at Pearl Beach, I saw dozens over the weekend.
Charles Hunter

Sat 17 Apr      Hooded Plovers Lake Tabourie, south of Ulladulla
Was amazed to see 6 Hooded Plovers at Lake Tabourie today, after dipping
at almost every beach between there and Mallacoota, Vic. Of interest, 2
of the six were immatures, and both were the offspring of one of the
pairs of adults (when a Sea Eagle flew over, they flushed, one pair of
adults going one way, the other four, 2 adults, 2 immatures, another
way). Also on the beach, 5 Double-banded Plovers, 4 Red-capped Plovers,
1 Red-necked Stint (must be overwintering as no sign of breeding
plumage), as well as many Crested Terns, and Silver Gulls. A couple of
Caspian Terns and Gannets seen. Worst thing was seeing dogs off leash,
running about, and chasing the gulls.
Ashwin Rudder

        Rose Robin Werakata NP, Cessnock district
On my way this morning to check out the Regent Honeyeater site at
Kitchener, I saw 2 ad male Rose Robins beside the N end of Kearsley Rd,
just S of its turn-off from Lake Rd. One bird was a tad brighter pink &
had a brighter white frons than the other. They were engaged in some
kind of agonistic behaviour which I haven't seen before in this species
(it's not recorded in HANZAB either). The brighter (older? or angrier?)
bird was chasing the other from tree to tree giving lots of quiet
buzzing calls & then speading his wings & vibrating them, as if
asserting some dominance. Exactly 1hr later at the Regent site approx
1-2kms away, I saw the exact same 2 birds again doing the same thing &
then both drove away a Grey Fantail that came up to investigate them.
The robins would be on the move away from breeding territories at this
time of year, so a hard behaviour to explain. There were no female
robins around. No Regents were there, but plenty of good stuff was seen
apart from the robins including Black-chinned Honeyeater, Varied
Sitella, Peaceful Dove, Dusky Woodswallow & Collared Sparrowhawk.
Martin Cachard

        Spangled Drongo Longreef Marine Reserve
One drongo was flying aorund the top carpark at 11:15 this morning. The
Noddy was still around, as mentioned in the previous post.
Longreef Wader Survey Group

        Black Noddy Long Reef, Collaroy (Sydney northern beaches)
The noddy is still at Long Reef - at 7am this morning was fishing in the
surf just off the seaward end of the reef. Also seen on the reef flat
many Ruddy Turnstones & Red Necked Stint - at least 5 in breeding
colours - 12 Sooty Oystercatchers, 1 Golden Plover, 20+ Double Banded
Dotterel (Adults & Immatures) and 4 Grey Tailed Tattler.
Tom Wilson

Fri 16 Apr      Spotted Quail-thrush Thunderbolt Hideout, N of
Tenterfield
We saw a pair of Spotted Quail-thrush - when they saw us, they ran over
the rocks and out of sight.
Jackson Hagley, David, Michael and Ross Krippner

        Osprey Ulladulla
A single Osprey was seen at the Telecom tower where two birds attempted
breeding last year. First seen flying to and from the tower, but too far
away to see if it was carrying nest repairing material. On closer
viewing, the bird had roosted on top of the tower - seemingly surveying
the work needed to be done. The position of the nesting tower is 35* 20'
55.47" S. 150* 27' 11.8" E. according to Google Earth. Last year 2 eggs
were abandoned, so here's hoping.
Tom Shields & Bob Rusk

Thu 15 Apr      Black-faced Cormorant Eden Wharves
A pair of Black-faced Cormorants observed sitting on the breakwater at
the wharves in Eden, along with a few Pelicans, Crested Terns, and a
lone Little Pied Cormorant, and a couple of Autralian Fur Seals fishing,
which was great to see.
Ashwin Rudder

        Chestnut-breasted Mannikin Warialda Sewage Treatment Plant
(between Inverell and Moree)
A small flock of birds flying around low shrubs and reeds, on the
mornings of 14th and 15th April.
Michael and David Krippner, Jackson and Richard Hagley

        Barking Owl, Sooty Owl Ben Ricketts Environmental Cabins (near
Barren Grounds)
Stayed up last night to try and find some owls. Early in the evening at
7:00 we flushed one from above our heads, not seeing what it was. A
Barking Owl was heard in the distance a few minutes later (possibly the
same bird?). At 10:00, three close calls were heard which we believe to
come from a Sooty Owl. An Aust Owlet-nightjar was also heard in the
distance.
Joshua Bergmark, Henry Coleman and Nathan Ruser

        Eastern Bristlebird, Southern Emu-wren, Beautiful Firetail,
Bassian Thrush Barren Grounds NR
At great trip up to Barren Grounds provided a few great sightings. A
flock of Southern Emu-wrens were seen at the start of the loop walk, as
well as a flock of Beautiful Firetails. There were 3 Gang-gang Cockatoos
further along the track (adult pair with an immature male) as well as
many Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos. This morning the wrens and firetails
were observed again, as well as an Eastern Bristlebird and a Bassian
Thrush. Unfortunately, no Ground Parrot.
Joshua Bergmark, Henry Coleman and Nathan Ruser

Tue 13 Apr      Superb Parrot Grenfell
A flock of Superb Parrots were found just south of Grenfell, providing
good views in trees around the road. Also a few Blue Bonnets, Rufous
Whistlers and a Southern Whiteface at Weddin State Forest.
Joshua Bergmark

        Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Rose Robin, Shining Bronze-Cuckoo Ingleburn
Reserve
1 Brown Cuckoo-Dove, 3 Rose Robins and a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo were
amongst the birds seen on a 2 hour morning walk.
Anthony Katon

Mon 12 Apr      Superb Parrot, Major Mitchell's Cockatoo Tottenham,
central NSW
Group of 4 Superb Parrots and a flock of 30+ Major Mitchell's Cockatoos
just south of Tottenham. Close by is Tabratong State Forest with many
other western birds including Inland Thornbill, Red-Capped Robin,
Western Gerygone, Emu, Brown Treecreeper, Speckled Warbler, Blue Bonnet,
Aust (Mallee) Ringneck. Very wet underfoot with great views of burrowing
frogs.
Michael Cheers

        Beautiful Firetail Meryla State Forest (south of Moss Vale)
I was thrilled to hear, then see, an immature Beautiful Firetail about
10km along Meryla Rd. in a swampy area with thickets I thought would be
perfect for the species. Also seen: Bassian Thrush and Rose Robin along
Sandy Creek (13.8km along Meryla Rd.) and White-eared Honeyeater in open
eucalypt forest along hilly terrain on Gun Rock Falls track.
Lorne Johnson

Sun 11 Apr      Scarlet Honeyeater Bobbin Head Track Kuring Gai NP
Good numbers of these birds along the Track, 7 seen at diffferent sites,
man HC. Mostly gleaning and feeding at flowering B. ericifolia
Harry Roberts

        Emerald Dove, Grey Goshawk Wallingat NP, lower mid-north coast
A single Emerald Dove was flushed from the beside Sugar Creek Rd where
the road to Whoota Whoota Lookout begins. A Grey Goshawk was heard at
the Sugar Creek Picnic Area too, but the thick canopy of Cabbage Tree
Palms obscured it from view. Crested Shrike-tit, Green Catbird and both
YT and LB Scrubwrens were observed throughout the national park. A great
spot, which would definitely ensure a good bunch of species in the
warmer months.
Max Breckenridge

Sat 10 Apr      Hooded Robin Waste Point, Jindabyne
Saw one male Hooded Robin at Waste Point last week. In a fruitful half
hour around Waste Point, highlights were many Flame Robins, 2 Scarlet
Robins, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Yellow-rumped Thonbill, Wedge-tailed
Eagle, Fuscous, Brown-headed, White-naped, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, and
Dusky Woodswallows
Ashwin Rudder

        Brahimny Kite, Regent Bowerbird Bluey's Beach, lower mid-north
coast
A pair of Brahimny Kites were observed soaring over the coastal forest
behind Bluey's Beach on two occasions, possibly searching for a nest
site. Regent Bowerbirds were easy to find in the coastal scrub between
the sand dunes and beach-side houses. On four visits, 2 males were seen
feeding, as were 4 female birds. Plenty of raptor activity around, with
Whistling Kites and sea eagles regularly flying overhead. A pair of
Sooty Oycs were also seen flying low over the surf one day.
Max Breckenridge

Sun 7 Mar       Pacific Baza North-west edge of Lawson
A pair of Pacific Baza foraging floppily on and in eucalypt canopy,
heard calls first, apparently a vagrant this high up Blue Mountains
(>700m).
Clive Heywood Barker

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers