birding-aus

Fwd: Uganda - Guide training in this part of the world

To: bob gosford <>, Birding Aus <>, NT Birds group <>, <>
Subject: Fwd: Uganda - Guide training in this part of the world
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:56:32 +0930
Hi Bob

I'm also working on a paper re birdwatching tourism and communities.
However, my approach is minimalist, for people like my semi-traditional
relatives who are nervous of tour operators and strangers in general and
worried about dealing with bureaucracies.  My approach was built in part on
my experience training Jawoyn guides for Nitmiluk Gorge, the Baby Dreaming
project we began in Arnhem Land, and decades working as a
birdwatching/natural history guide, often with my relatives.

My female relatives had particular concerns as well that had been
exacerbated by their men's experience of tourism, and also comments from the
Mirrar of Kakadu who'd had serious problems with tourism. Yvonnne Margarula,
my great grand-daughter and a senior custodian in Kakadu, wrote an article
for our newsletter, on  this topic.

We aimed for specific markets that would "fit" my relatives rather than the
other way round, mainly older American couples and students.   We didn't
target hard core male birders-  sometimes they have characteristics that
don't go down well with my relatives.  Likewise our training targeted
families rather than individuals.   Couples, as my research indicates, have
broader interests than individuals, as do international birders, even
hardcore ones.  For instance, they are generally interested in other
wildlife as well.  So perhaps you should consider broadening your target
market.

Another point is that first steps are really important.  Contracted to teach
the Jawoyn about birds and ecology, I discovered they were too shy to talk
to strangers.  So a first priority was to tackle that issue.  I also built
upon existing skills, values and knowledge.  Les Hiddens, the Bush Tucker
man, who also worked on the program, apparently assumed his students were
ignorant.  Elders told me he was the "ignorant" one, and they didn't want
him back.

On Baby Dreaming the other elders and I were also careful about not building
up expectations.  I'd seen what happened to the Jawoyn.  After running a
high profile program, the government pulled the plug leaving several of
those trainee rangers without work.  Some went off the rails completely;
several turned to alcohol, and at least one ended up in jail and another
dying.

 This was also my fear for a recent prominent program to train birding
guides in Kakadu, which according to my contacts, failed and has now ceased.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia

Research survey:
For American birders -
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h3NCqTwur3H_2bPlbFtk_2bSpw_3d_3d
For UK and other birders
-http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=adx6k4cK_2fqMWzw79jmrmzg_3d_3d

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com