birding-aus

Tassie Seamount Delivers!!

To: "" <>
Subject: Tassie Seamount Delivers!!
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 00:56:33 +0000
Hi,

We are about six hours outside Hobart right now, enjoying a calm sunlit cruise
past Bruny, two hours after a hectic 40 knot knock down wind forced all hands
on deck to take down the main sail as we keeled over at 45 degrees!!

It's been an awesome four days sailing though, with two days of amazing calm
weather, with one evening spent drifting over the cascade plateau, spotlighting
Antarctic Prions and watching two foot long bioluminescent invertebrates float
by like glow sticks in the water.

The cetaceans and seabirds have been incredible...two Sei Whales literally feet
from the boat put on an amazing display skim-feeding on their side for half an
hour around us...a once in a lifetime experience!! Best birds were, two
Broad-billed Prions, two Westland Petrels, a couple of hundred Gould's Petrels,
two dozen subantarctic Little Shearwaters, one probable Salvin's Prion, a Grey
Petrel, a Buller's Shearwater, a Black-bellied Storm-petrel and a Blue Petrel.
Other cetaceans included Long-finned Pilot Whales feeding with Oceanic
Bottlenose Dolphins and a mixed pod of Common Dolphins with a few Striped
Dolphins.

More later, plus photos and some video.

Simon Mustoe, Bill Moorhead, Jack Moorhead, Tracey Cuin, Michael Hansen, Bill
Wakefield, Else Wakefield, Grant Penrhyn, Alexandra Ferguson and Bob Way.