birding-aus

Hobby ignores onlookers at Brisbane Airport

To: Steve <>
Subject: Hobby ignores onlookers at Brisbane Airport
From: david taylor <>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:34:25 +1000
Great stuff Steve - actually I do think that of all the raptors Australian
Hobby seem to be one of ( if not the most ) approachable from my experience -
certainly most of the raptors have a very definite and often very wide "safety
zone" ( and I think Wedge-tailed Eagles may have the widest!) .  Certainly I
have on occasions found Hobbies quite willing to allow reasonably close
approach.

Moments like this one today are always great!

cheers

David Taylor
Brisbane

On 03/04/2010, at 4:09 PM, Steve wrote:

> Hello all. Sometimes the best birding moments occur when you least expect
> it. On leaving Brisbane International Airport (where I work) at around
> midday,  I was surprised to see an Australian Hobby with a fresh kill just
> sitting on the ground on the road next to the staff carpark. The bird
> allowed an approach to within 4 metres, had a quick look at me, and went on
> with its meal! Not many people about at this time so I watched for a few
> minutes and went on my way. Looking back I noticed a bemused security guard
> coming to have a look as well. Amazing.
>
> Cheers Steve Murray

> to:

David Taylor