birding-aus

Unusual Sighting - Koel

To: <>
Subject: Unusual Sighting - Koel
From: "Bob Carr" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:48:32 +1100
Last Friday 26th March a  Common Koel was heard, and male sighted, at
approximately 7.30 pm on power wires beside the Sturt Highway, Wagga
Wagga in the city centre.     Penne and I came out of KFC (something
like an annual visit) and heard and recognised the call but were unable
to locate the bird.    We eventually gave up as we had no binoculars and
it was getting quite dark.   As we left the shopping complex from the
roundabout at the Highway we spotted the bird on the wires opposite KFC.

Our previous recording in Wagga Wagga was about 6 - 8 years ago
following the fires along the Hume Highway from Campbelltown to the
Southern Highlands and down to Wollongong.    We surmised at the time
that that bird got on the wrong side of the smoke plume and came down
the inland rather than the coast.

Bob & Penne Carr

Wagga Wagga