birding-aus

Lake Blanche (SA) starting to fill

Subject: Lake Blanche (SA) starting to fill
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:26:10 +1100
Apparently Lake Blanche in SA has started to fill from floodwaters in
the Cooper Creek system.  I believe Lake Blanche last filled in 1990.
In 1990 waterbirds counted by my UNSW colleague Richard Kingsford's team
in flights over Lake Blanche included:

 3000 Black Swan
  400 Freckled Duck
50000 Grey Teal
 9000 Pink-eared Duck
15000 Banded Stilt
 8000 Red-necked Avocet
50000 small waders
 3000 Caspian Tern

You can see on Google maps how arid the the Cooper catchment is normally:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&hq=&ll=-29.248063,139.615631&spn=0.866308,1.175537&t=h&z=10

Andrew