birding-aus

RFI: Barking Owls in southern QLD

To: "'Chris Sanderson'" <>, "'Birding-Aus \(Forum\)'" <>
Subject: RFI: Barking Owls in southern QLD
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:06:57 +1000
Hi Chris,
If you refer to our paper in Sunbird Vol 37 Number 2 "Changes in the
occurrence of Birds and Conservation of Bird Habitat in the Pittsworth Shire
Darling Downs since 1972" John and Ruth Walter Pittsworth 2007. You will see
Barking Owl listed as being seen in May, June and July 1972 This bird
roosted in a tree outside a cottage lived in by Betty Temple Watts at
Irongate near Pittsworth. And it was photographed by me. I have also had a
number of unconfirmed reports from around Oakey and also Redwood Park below
the range in Toowoomba.  This is the only confirmed record that I know of in
nearly 40 years but I would suggest you check also with Michael Atzeni from
the Toowoomba Bird Club, they may have more up to date sightings records.
Greg Ford and Nicci Thompson in their book on Birds of the Darling Downs
don't mention Barking Owls as being present.
Cheers John