birding-aus

FW: [Birding-Aus] RFI Fairy Terns in NSW

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: FW: [Birding-Aus] RFI Fairy Terns in NSW
From: "Darryl McKay" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:27:20 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl McKay
Sent: Friday, 26 March 2010 5:53 PM
To: 'Tun Pin Ong'
Subject: RFI Fairy Terns in NSW

The adult Fairy Tern would have been a female receiving food from its mate a
Little Tern. This is common practice with Little and Fairy Terns where the
male presents a fish to the female during courtship and when nesting.

There is usually one or two mixed pairings recorded on the south coast of
NSW each year.

I regularly record small numbers of Fairy Terns breeding at Lake
Wollumboola, Lake Conjola, Tuross Heads, Tathra  with the largest
concentrations at Lake Wallagoot. The slowly increasing number of breeding
Fairy Terns at traditionally Little Tern colonies needs to monitored as they
are more aggressive than Little Terns and can push them out into less
desirable nesting areas as was the case a few years ago at Lake Wallagoot
when Fairy Terns dominated the high ground pushing the Little Terns onto low
ground and when the lake rose after heavy rain all Little Terns nests were
lost but the Fairy Tern nests remained high and dry.

Darryl McKay