birding-aus

RFI: birds around Geelong

Subject: RFI: birds around Geelong
From: Erik Kleyheeg <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:25:52 +1100
Hi all,

you might have seen my name before on the list but I haven't properly
introduced myself yet. I am a master student from the Netherlands working on
a research project at Deakin University (Geelong, Vic) at the moment.
Besides that I am also a birdwachter (not shy to say that I qualify for
being a twitcher, since that is well accepted in the Netherlands these
days!) on a quest. During my stay I would like to see number 1000 on my life
list, a goal I am now 42 species away from. The problem is that I have been
in Australia before for a birdwatching holiday (although not in the SE),
that by now I have seen most of the common bird species around Geelong and,
probably worst of all, that I am not very mobile (I have only a bicycle).

My question for birders who live around Geelong/Melbourne is if anyone could
please give me some advise on where the best spots are to find my remaining
42 bird species (I could send you a list of species that would be lifers for
me) and if maybe I could once join someone for a day birding in the weekend,
trying to find some of the more difficult species? Please let me know if you
would like to have a look at my 'wish list'
By the way, my last lifer was Cape Barren Goose at the Werribee Treatment
Plant (near T-section lagoon). There were as many as 13 birds present last
Monday. Is that normal for that area?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Erik Kleyheeg

--