birding-aus

Why should I give a flying fish about seabirds?

To: <>
Subject: Why should I give a flying fish about seabirds?
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:36:23 +0000
Twenty three million Short-tailed Shearwaters live in Australia and
each year, they travel between the southern Ocean off Antarctica to the
Alaskan Arctic, where they feed in breathtaking numbers. They are not
considered endangered because of their large range and their huge
population. What if, a significant proportion of our Short-tailed Shearwaters
were
to die? Would it make any difference to us, our children and their
children?

It turns out that Short-tailed Shearwaters are important for ocean function and
climate. I presented a talk to the Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre
Marine Science Forum last weekend. Watch a 2-minute video of the conclusions
and read the full summary by visiting http://www.bird-o.com.

Regards,

Simon.