birding-aus

Re: Banded Crested Tern

Subject: Re: Banded Crested Tern
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 19:46:54 +0800

Mark

Sightings of banded or leg flagged terns should be reported to the Australasian Wader Study Group. Their web site is http://tasweb.com.au/awsg/

Having said that, this record will not be of any practical use as you can't report the band number, and it had no leg flags. So there is nothing to determine where the bird was banded.

I am not certain of how many banding projects there are to study terns. I have heard of terns being studied at Mud Island in Port Phillip Bay (especially Crested Terns), north west Australia, and also the Swain Reefs off the Queensland coast. The north west and Swain Reef birds have leg flags (yellow for NW, green?? for Qld). I don't know about the Victorian birds. The Swain Reef birds are largely Roseate Terns with three separate populations identified (local, Japanese and somewhere else as yet unknown). The north west birds are more incidental, but there have been significant catches of Common Tern and Roseate Tern, and more information is needed of sightings to determine where these plus the migratory Gull-billed Tern (affinis race) and Little Tern population move to. There is the possibility that five populations of Roseate Terns visit WA. There are local Little Terns that breed in the Kimberley, but it is strongly expected that there are also summer visitors from the northern hemisphere but I believe that so far there have been no sightings reported here of overseas birds, or overseas of NW birds, but the sample size is very small.