birding-aus

Australian Field Ornithology journal

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Australian Field Ornithology journal
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:04:51 +1100
Hi all,

I agree with Rohan. It is a very good journal with lots of interesting
articles.

In discussions with friends I have been told that they don’t subscribe to
AFO because it is too technical and has too many graphs and charts. I also
know they have not read a copy of AFO in a long time.

As well as the major articles that Rohan lists, none of which by the way has
a chart or graph, I enjoy the short articles that most issues have. In the
June 2009 issue there are articles on White-faced Herons feeding on carion,
Brahminy Kites aerial feeding and Brush-tailed Possums evicting fledgling
Southern Boobook from a nesting hollow – with 2 incredible photos. In the
September edition there is an interesting note on White-throated
Treecreepers feeding on nectar, again with photos. Recent books are also
reviewed.

So why not try a subscription, even if it is just for one year, so you can
see how the magazine has changed from what you think you remember. No, I am
not on the BOCA or AFO boards – this is purely a matter of self interest; I
don’t want the journal to die, I find it too interesting (smile).

Cheers

Jen