birding-aus

Periodic shorebird & tern survey report, Noosa SEQld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Periodic shorebird & tern survey report, Noosa SEQld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:54:30 +1000
To birding-aussers,

Below is a forwarded rundown of a survey we conducted last week in the Noosa estuary. Yesterday my skilled field volunteers and I ran a field identification session for council workers and community volunteers in the same estuary. Unlike last week, the weather was superb, and this may explain why more shorebirds were visible yesterday, compared with last week. The Noosa estuary is normally good for a fair range of shorebird species, as well as all six tern species, but the shorebird numbers are merely moderate.

See below.

 16/2/02   Hi All,

Our Noosa surveys went ahead in rain last Tuesday, Feb 16, as there was no room to move with tides. Numbers are below. It was one of the most uncomfortable days we have had, and as I looked at my drenched, bedraggled team, I wondered how I came to be so lucky as to have such a faithful band of colleagues.

The surprise of the day was an Eastern Reef Egret on Site 5 near the Beach Stone-Curlews. This species normally frequents rocky shorelines. And a group of 10 frigatebirds (possibly Great, yet to be identified if possible from pics) which the storms blew south to us from the GBReef. We found our first Double-banded Plover of the season, with no sign of breeding plumage. The best feature of the day was that the weather kept the public at home, and we saw very little disturbance. One incident which we observed was quite deliberate, and I include the sequence of photos (reduced) in case they have a use for publications down the track. (not included for birding-aus) There was a flock of about 5000 terns, and three people set up a disturbance so that they could photograph it. A girl ran into the flock and click went their camera - and so did mine.

Migratory shorebird numbers were very low, adding to our concern about loss of shorebirds in the flyway. On the previous day I did a series of Pumicestone Passage high tide roost surveys, and had a similar poor result. However, I should also add that we rushed the afternoon low tide surveys in Noosa because of approaching storm fronts and weather bureau warnings, so perhaps we missed birds. I don't really think so.

The evening tern survey was a shemozzle with birds coming and going all over the place. Goodness knows how many times we restarted the counts. The number we arrived at is inaccurate, but the best we could manage, given the conditions. Whilst we were there a dark dingo promenaded along the north spit for some time (pic attached). The storm held off until we had finished counting, and then down it came, with heavy rain all the way home.

Clive, Jan, please let me know of any errors.

Cheers,

Jill

Survey_Date Tide_Position Species_Id Common_Name Sum Of Number_Seen

16-Feb-10 1 1 Caspian Tern 3
16-Feb-10 1 3 Crested Tern 637
16-Feb-10 1 5 Little Tern 1
16-Feb-10 1 8 Silver Gull 5
16-Feb-10 1 9 Terns migratory 3600
16-Feb-10 1 10 Eastern Curlew 6
16-Feb-10 1 11 Whimbrel 15
16-Feb-10 1 12 Bar-tailed Godwit 36
16-Feb-10 1 21 Red-necked Stint 7
16-Feb-10 1 27 Red-capped Plover 21
16-Feb-10 1 28 Double-banded Plover 1
16-Feb-10 1 36 Australian Pelican 1
16-Feb-10 1 38 Pied Cormorant 2
16-Feb-10 1 40 Little Black Cormorant 1
16-Feb-10 1 44 Egret spp (10 Little 1 Eastern)
11
16-Feb-10 1 50 Osprey 1
16-Feb-10 1 51 White-bellied Sea-Eagle 1
16-Feb-10 1 56 Greater Frigatebird (I think)
10
16-Feb-10 1 57 Pacific Black Duck 3
16-Feb-10 1 58 Beach Stone-Curlew 2 4364 High
16-Feb-10 3 2 CommonTern 4

16-Feb-10 3 3 Crested Tern 335

16-Feb-10 3 5 Little Tern 1

16-Feb-10 3 8 Silver Gull 63

16-Feb-10 3 9 Terns migratory 5300

16-Feb-10 3 10 Eastern Curlew 4

16-Feb-10 3 11 Whimbrel 25

16-Feb-10 3 12 Bar-tailed Godwit 2

16-Feb-10 3 29 Pacific Golden Plover 5

16-Feb-10 3 31 Pied Oystercatcher 2

16-Feb-10 3 36 Australian Pelican 2

16-Feb-10 3 38 Pied Cormorant 1

16-Feb-10 3 40 Little Black Cormorant 53

16-Feb-10 3 43 White-faced Heron 3

16-Feb-10 3 44 Egret spp (Little)
1

16-Feb-10 3 45 Ibis spp (White)
1

16-Feb-10 3 48 Whistling Kite 1

16-Feb-10 3 50 Osprey 1

16-Feb-10 3 51 White-bellied Sea-Eagle 2

16-Feb-10 3 56 Greater Frigatebird (think)
7 5813 Low
16-Feb-10 5 3 Crested Tern 637
16-Feb-10 5 9 Terns migratory 6330 6967 Evening
--
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S	152° 56' 00"E