birding-aus

Trip report for Alice Springs to Adelaide, Jan and Feb 2010

Subject: Trip report for Alice Springs to Adelaide, Jan and Feb 2010
From: Christopher Watson <>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:10:36 +0930
*Trip Report – NT and Outback SA*

* 28/1/2010 to 15/2/2010*

* *

A trip I did recently from Alice Springs to Adelaide and back again taking
in Uluru and King’s Canyon, Coober Pedy, the Oodnadatta track south of
William Creek, Bopechee to Roxby Downs, the Flinders Ranges and Port
Augusta.

Considering I was working at the time running a tour for people who were not
really birdos the list turned out pretty good. I wasn’t birding very hard as
my work took precedence but the weather of late has really brought the birds
out so I was ticking them up pretty well anyway.

Highlights;

Collared Sparrowhawks nesting in the gum trees at the northern end of the
median strip in front of the roadhouse at Marla.

A total count of 48 Major Mitchell’s Cockatoos from Alice to Coober

11 Australian Spotted Crakes at the Coober Pedy Sewage run-off, where there
was also a lone Hardhead and a lone Grey Teal

A Little Eagle and a Brown Goshawk nesting within the locked compound at the
Coober Pedy sewage works. No access but good views from outside.

Other Coober Pedy irregularities include a heat distressed Barbary Dove
allowing itself to be handled and manually fed some water. Rufous Fieldwren
at the sewage run-off, and more Red-backed Kingfishers than I have ever seen
there – I lost count after I got to 30 as they were sitting on every power
line and post I drove past.

Inland Dotterels giving great views all along the road from Coober Pedy to
Lake Cadibarrawirracanna, which, although it has some water, was devoid of
birdlife when we were there.

A baker’s dozen of Cinnamon Quail-thrush outside the pub at William Creek
allowing close approach and great views.

3 Yellow-billed Spoonbills and 6 Hoary-headed Grebes at the Beresford
railway siding which has flooded out beautifully since the rain came
through.

Spotted Harrier just north of Hawker in the Flinders Ranges.

Short-tailed Grasswren seen several time at Stokes’ Hill Lookout.

Brown-headed Honeyeater and Diamond Firetail seen in good numbers at
Dutchman’s Stern Conservation Reserve.

Great numbers of waders still at St.Kilda mud flats including all the usual
suspects as well as 6 Elegant Parrots on the shore.

Australian Bustard moving nonchalantly across the road near Marla on the
trip back north.

All in all a great trip, with some extraordinary weather forcing a few
detours as many of the roads through the Flinders Ranges were completely cut
by the flash flooding of the Boolcunda. Spectacular stuff.

Complete list in order of sighting;

Magpie Lark

Galah

Australian Ringneck