birding-aus

geckos

To: "Michael Hunter" <>, "Syd Curtis" <>
Subject: geckos
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:44:22 +1100
Hi Syd and Michael,

There is no problem tolerating an introduced species in artificial habitats such as buildings if they don't pose a threat to native species. We have a healthy population of Robust Velvet Geckos in our house and I would be most upset if the Asian House Gecko was to move in and usurp these natives. The larger size of the native species would probably protect them from an invasion.

Does anyone know if they have caused any environmental problems in Australia to date?

Greg Clancy
Ecologist
Coutts Crossing
NSW