birding-aus

Rainbow Bee-eaters at Woodlands? PS

To: michael norris <>,
Subject: Rainbow Bee-eaters at Woodlands? PS
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:22:11 +1100
I wasn't clear enough when I enquired about Rainbowbirds at Woodlands. I meant Woodlands Historic Park out near Tullamarine. Ten years ago they were summer breeding migrants and regularly nested along the upper parts of Moonee Ponds Creek. They were a delight to see.

I am wondering if the local population was done in by a very cold snap in February or March a few years ago, which is said to have killed Rainbowbirds overnight in their nest burrows all over southern Victoria. I wish I wasn't so hazy about dates!

Are there any at the You Yangs still?  We used to see them there.

Anthea Fleming

michael norris wrote:
Hi Anthea

Which 'Woodlands' is that? I know of two: the Woodlands Industrial Estate by Braeside Park and the Woodlands Historic Park (formerly Gellibrand Hill..).

I've followed lists from both places but have no record of Rainbow Bee-eater from either (with 109 species + 5 possible at the latter).

Also no record listed on Birdline Vic for either site.

Michael Norris