birding-aus

Koel at Parry Beach Denmark WA

To: birdswa email list <>
Subject: Koel at Parry Beach Denmark WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:05:18 +0800

There is a juvenile koel at Parry Beach at Denmark on the south coast of WA. I have sent the photos to the experts to see if it is Asian or Eastern (I suspect it is Eastern). An amazing record as it doesn't normally come further south than Broome.

No significant weather down this way to explain this sighting. It could be Eastern States bird? Like the Olive-backed Oriole at the Eyre Bird Observatory a couple of years ago.

This follows on from Beach Stone-curlew at Cape Arid NP last year; Dollarbird in Perth a couple of years ago; Radjah Shelduck currently at Bibra Lake in Perth (although this could have been around for a few years); etc.