birding-aus

Barbarys -explanation

To: <>, <>
Subject: Barbarys -explanation
From: michael wood <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:32:13 +1030
Hello Clive and All

I did not intend to infer that the Laughing Dove belonged to the ring necked
family of doves. If that is the message I have given, it is a mistake on my
part. (Having lived in WA for some time it is clear that Laughing Doves are not
ring necks.)

My point was, hopefully expressed a little better this time, that the Laughing
Dove and Barbary Dove (referring to the posting of Peter Shute's: "Barbary Dove
call? - Altona (Vic)") are so different in both calls and appearance that there
shouldn't really be any confusion between the two, in my opinion. Nothing
terribly profound there! It appears that the mix up may have been in the common
names Peter Shute referred to assigned by Pizzey & Knight. My mistake was
suggesting that the Barbary Dove and African Collared Dove were one and same
species when it is reasonably clear they are not.

At least some anecdotal evidence suggests the Barbary Dove is a hybrid between
the African Collared Dove and Eurasian Collared Dove.

Hopefully, I have managed to clear up any confused messages I might have been
sending.

Regards,

Michael Wood

Ps. As far as I am aware the authorities in SA are aware of the potential
spread of the birds. Whether they do anything about it or not is another thing?

Clive Nealon wrote:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with some of this message.
A number of doves do have 'collars', but the Laughing Dove, Streptopelia
senegalensis, is not one of them.

The Birds of Africa (Urban, Fry, and Keith) Volume 2 lists in the entry for the
Eurasian Collared Dove, Streptopelia decaocto,
the following citation -

Columba risoria L. var. decaocto Frivaldsky, 1838, K magyar tudos...etc

This is almost certainly the origin of the risoria appellation, and may have
led to the confusion with the Laughing Dove because,
as Jobling lists in his 'Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names', -

risoria Med. L. risorie, mocking (L. risor, risoris, a laugher; ridere, to
laugh).

The entry in Wikipedia throws further light on the 'Barbary Dove' -

The Ringneck Dove, Ring Dove, or Barbary Dove, Streptopelia risoria, is a
domestic member of the dove family (Columbidae)
Although the Ringneck Dove is normally assigned its own systematic name, as
Streptopelia risoria, considerable doubt exists as to its
appropriate classification. Some sources confidently assert that it is a
domestic form of the Eurasian Collared Dove, S decaocto, but the
majority of evidence points to it being a domesticated form of the African
Collared Dove, S. roseogrisea. It appears that it can hybridise
freely with either species, and its status as a species must therefore be
regarded as doubtful. However because of the wide use of
both common and systematic names, it is best to consider it separately from
either of the putative parent species.

Regards, Clive.