birding-aus

superb fruit-doves on the sunshine coast

To: <>
Subject: superb fruit-doves on the sunshine coast
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:32:29 +1000
This morning I had wonderful views of a male and a female Superb Fruit-Dove
near Mapleton on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. At least one other bird was
heard at the site.
This species is regarded as very scarce in south-east Queensland, and as a
vagrant south of the Queensland border. Its status is uncertain, with some
speculation that it may be a passage migrant in south-east Queensland. The
behaviour of the birds today indicated a breeding pair. I have had a Superb
Fruit-Dove in residence the past few weeks at nearby Yandina, and I saw the
species at Cooloola last month. Chris Corben told me that when he worked in
the Conondales, in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, back in the 1980s, he
would see one or two Superb Fruit-Doves a year.
All of these records and other sightings indicate the species is a scarce
but regular summer visitor to southeast Queensland. It typically cohabits
the rainforest with its cogenors, Wompoo Fruit-Dove and Rose-crowned
Fruit-Dove, both of which were much in evidence today.
Greg Roberts