birding-aus

Wader Counting [SEQ]

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Wader Counting [SEQ]
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:54:47 +1000
I happened to be on Bribie Island yesterday morning for a rather high tide. There was very little happening at Buckleys Hole and the combined wader/tern flock assembled on the Bongaree Spit steadfastly refused to move up to area where I was waiting [Interestingly, they were happy to sit in the water and tolerated swimmers and boaties moving close by.]

I moved up to the Kakadu Beach roost and found a large combined flock of barwits, black-tails and knots [possibly as many as 1000 birds]. There were a trio of birders there and one was counting the birds - not overly easy, as they were packed in along the bar and periodically took to flight. [I got some nice flight shots of the black-tails].

I called in to the Toorbul wader roost - initially, there was just a flock of ~20 OzPOs there. I noticed an immature with an orange bill and so learned another aspect that is not described in the field guides. I was just about to go when the waders arrived from Bribie at a great rate of knots, and got some better photos as the birds were much closer. [The enjoyable thing about BTGWs is that they look a bit like hutwits, so you can have some fun checking them]. A smaller flock had settled just up the beach and included a scattering of ~ 50 Eastern Curlews. Interestingly, I saw virtually no small waders at either Bribie or Toorbul.

Today I joined the Queensland Wader Study Group in a survey of a large restricted area. [I had never been on an official wader count before] The assembled birders signed in and then divided into groups to undertake counts at different parts of the location. At each site, each counter would nominate which species they would count and then (after a period) report the figure to the group scribe. There were thousands of birds to be counted, so the process took a couple of hours. I was surprised at the number of Little Terns present - I think there would have been ~500 spread around the area [they made a large cloud when they were took to the air].

The highlight for the twitchers in the group were 5 Broad-billed Sandpipers - first spotted by Chris Sanderson. The moral of this story, is that if you want to get into some off-limits areas to look for unusual birds, you could do worse than to join a wader study group on an official count.

Regards, Laurie.