birding-aus

Broadbilled Flycatcher in Hervey Bay

To: "Susannah Hawkin" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Broadbilled Flycatcher in Hervey Bay
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:55:37 +1100
I recently caught and banded a flycatcher at Washpool National Park, northern NSW and faced the same dilemma that you did. The bill was very broad and looked more like a Broad-billed than a Leaden when compared with an illustration in a field guide. Due to the location being a very long way south of the known range of the Broad-billed I presumed that it must have been a Leaden but wanted to be sure. I sent a few photos to the 'brains trust' and the answer was unanimously 'Leaden'. The exercise was not a time waster as now I know what to look for. The tail of the Broad-billed tapers gradually towards the tip while the tail feathers of the Leaden are all approximately the same length. Your photos show a (worn) tail with all of the feathers approximately the same length, which makes it a Leaden. I don't know if the upperparts colouration is a factor of the camera, light etc. but it is very brown for a Leaden. Could it be a Satin? Satins are virtually unknown from the lowlands of the north coast of NSW so I would suspect that the same would occur in lowland south-east Queensland. Any comments brains trust?????

Greg Clancy
Ecologist
Coutts Crossing
NSW