birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater - Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside NSW

To: <>, <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater - Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside NSW
From: Michael Ramsey <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:50:31 +1100
Hi Chris,
Just some help with the ID of the birds you are unsure of from Nurragingy
Reserve.Some of these birds are juveniles which can be tricky to identify, and
are not often illustrated in field guides.
The Olive-backed Oriole is right, it looks like a juvenile or immature.The
Jacky Winter is a Rufous Whistler, maybe a juvenile too. A Jacky Winter would
flick its white-sided tail from side to side. It would not have streaks on its
breast either, (though a juvenile Jacky Winter may have a mottled breast) and
the jizz of the bird is whistler like (thickish head and the way the bird is
perched)The Emerald Dove is a young Spotted Dove. Young Spotted Doves don't
have spotting around the neck like this one. You can see white under the bird's
tail and well and the greyish spotting on the wings starting to appear.
Well done on picking up the Regent Honeyeaters as well.Michael Ramsey