birding-aus

Lesser Yellowlegs & Emu Wrens in NSW Mid-north Coast

Subject: Lesser Yellowlegs & Emu Wrens in NSW Mid-north Coast
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 03:17:37 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Folks.The weather has been pretty poor for most of my time in Mid-North
Coast but I have squeezed in some good birds in between appeasing the rellies!I
managed to get the Lesser Yellowlegs near South West Rocks on two occasions: on
a high tide 4 days back (it came within 5m of the Boyters Lane hide!) and this
morning at the same location. It is pretty distinctive and seems to always be
in the company of Marsh Sandpipers so a convenient comparison can be made!The
rest of the site is very good, especially early in the morning. Tawny
Grassbirds, Golden Headed Cisticolas and Buff-banded Rails seemed to be
everywhere! There are also occasional Brolga and a scruffy young Jabiru.Glossy
Black Cockatoo have been pretty regular in the heathland behind Main Beach
(between South West Rocks and Arakoon) around 5pm.One odd find was Southern Emu
Wren at Hat Head- Awesome little bird. Anyone else seen them there?
CheersMark Carter