birding-aus

Lewin's Rail

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lewin's Rail
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:37:53 +1000

Bird 210 for the Abberton list!

We saw a Lewins’ Rail briefly from the verandah on 17 December, couldn’t get
any photos, spent many long hours watching and watching without another
sighting and assumed it had been just passing through. No less special for
that, a wonderful addition to the Abberton list, but presumably just a one-off
moment of excitement to be replayed in our heads for years to come.

Until it reappeared on New Year’s Day! I’ve written it up on the website – with
photos – go to http://www.abberton.org/birds2009.htm for more detail.

Unfortunately, yesterday's heavy rains have sent the creek into a minor flood
and there are no margins in sight up or downstream. I'm hoping the Lewin's was
here for the two weeks between sightings, and will move in again if and when
the creek returns to normal.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.