birding-aus

a funny crested pigeon behaviour

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: a funny crested pigeon behaviour
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 09:20:22 +1000
The past two days we've observed one of the local crested pigeons
(Auchenflower, Brisbane) quite furiously attacking the back of our car,
parked in our side driveway. It's a black car, the poor bird is presumably
attacking it because he can see his reflection in it. Observed two pigeons
the other day fighting on the power lines so it must be breeding season for
them. It's always the one rear corner of the car, where presumably it can
see/reach the reflection from a slightly uphill position - he has to jump up
to peck at it still. It's very funny, he'll toddle around the car a bit,
maybe peck at the ground some and then run back to the corner and start
pecking and wing-slapping his "rival". Have not seen him "display" to his
reflection though. This morning he jumped on top of the back of the hatch I
think to check where this stubborn opponent hides. just checked then and
he's still at it. Lucky we will be going out in a minute for most of the day
so he'll get some respite.