birding-aus

Presence and absence of Collared Kingfishers

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Presence and absence of Collared Kingfishers
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:05:06 +1000
Hi All,

A chance conversation the other day brings me to a question I can't answer: why is it that Collared Kingfishers are abundant in the Pumicestone Passage (the water between Bribie Island, SEQld, and the mainland) and yet I have never seen nor heard a Collared Kingfisher in the Noosa estuary. I do bird surveys in the Noosa estuary every month. I have no knowledge of the mangrovey areas up the Noosa river around the lakes, only the estuary, where there are plenty of mangroves. In winter I see plenty of Sacred Kingfishers on the intertidal sand/mudflats in both the passage and Noosa, but why the absence of Collareds in Noosa? What is it that they need?

One thought I have had is that where we see them in the Passage, the intertidal zone is fairly muddy. In Noosa it is very sandy. I don't see Collareds on the intertidal sandflats in Caloundra either, but I have seen Sacreds there.

Cheers,

Jill

--
Jill Dening