birding-aus

Happy New Year

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Happy New Year
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:42:32 +0930
I¹d like to take this opportunity to thank a few Birding Aussers.

In particular I¹d like to single out  Alan McBride ­ thank you for arranging
our trip to the US and for being such a good friend: to Mike Schulz for
inviting me to speak at the Australian Birdfair; to the one and only Carol
Proberts for both the trip to Capertee and your generous donation of a
computer to the traditional owners of Gudjekbinj, Arnhem Land, and to Joe
Gilmour for helping me obtain a laptop for another community.  They have now
received it, thank you.  Sean Dooley, thank you for inviting me to join the
Flockwiz.  I¹m honing my humour just in case there¹s another!  And Tim
Dolby, it was a pleasure to meet you.  You were just as I imagined you¹d be.

Best birds of the year?  Painted Honeyeater and Spotted Quail-thrush, both
of which I¹d not seen before.

Best experiences?  In the USA - Humming-birds, Olive Sparrow, Green Jay and
all warblers, reptiles (especially Hog-nosed Snake and Cottonmouth), and
many of the plants I saw.  And it almost goes without saying that I caught
up with, and made, many friends while over there.

In Australia? Standing in deep mud among the Prop-rooted Mangroves and
watching Chestnut Rail stride past almost close enough to touch, or
crouching in one of my special birding places near Palmerston and having
several White-breasted Whistlers come to check me out.  There¹s little
challenge in finding the birds that most international visitors come for eg
Rainbow Pitta, Hooded Parrot and Gouldian Finch.  But I always get a kick
out of the mangrove birds.

My family and I wish all Birding Aussers the best of New Years.
Denise L Goodfellow