birding-aus

Hunter Big Year 2010

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hunter Big Year 2010
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:43:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone,

Following on from the various "big years" that have been taking place and most
recently, Tim Dolby's VicTwitch, I have resolved to attempt a similar feat on
an albeit more localised scale.

This year was the first time I had taken notice of how many birds I had seen in
the Hunter Region (NSW) within a calendar year. This total currently stands at
302 (plus 6 more "heard only") and so I thought to myself, "what might be
possible?"

After sitting down with fellow Hunter birdo, Dan Williams (who has decided to
do the big year with me), we figured that 310 would be "very do-able", that 320
would be "possible" and that 330 would be a "difficult challenge".

So we rounded it off at 333!

It would be fantastic if we could equal the previous record for Victoria
(335)...or even beat the new record (what is it now Tim..any advances on 340?),
but that might be pushing the envelope a little!! The list for the Hunter
Region currently stands at 428 species and 344 species were confirmed to be
within the region in 2008. For a definition of the Hunter Region (which is the
area of interest for the Hunter Bird Observers Club) see:

http://www.hboc.org.au/index.cfm?menukey=28

At this stage it's only proposed as a "just for fun" idea as neither of us have
had time to consider fundraising possibilities. Dan and I will be keeping
seperate lists but will be birding together as much as possible, so we'll
hopefully there won't be too many differences between us!

Here's to a great New Year's resolution.

Cheers,

Mick Roderick
Newcastle
NSW