birding-aus

Bird books

To: "'Syd Curtis'" <>, <>
Subject: Bird books
From: "Julian Bielewicz" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 05:42:30 +1000
Greetings Syd

POYSER BOOKS I know reasonably well. They have the trademark "white" dust
jackets.  I have in excess of 20 of their volumes, mostly monograms on a
particular species or group, eg THE KESTREL; THE PUFFIN; WADERS: their
breeding, haunts & watchers; THE BEE-EATERS, etc.  Others are more
ecologically biased, eg WEATHER & BIRD BEHAVIOUR; BIRDS BY NIGHT, etc..
They also cover non-avian titles such as BADGERS; HEDGEHOGS, etc.

HELM are in a similar vein although I don't think they have the distinctive
white dust jacket; at least the few HELM volumes I own don't.  I have the
definitive works:  SHOREBIRDS: An identification guide to the waders of the
world and two similar volumes covering world wildfowl and world seabirds.
My BIRDS OF EUROPE is a HELM book.  I also own a number of their "Where to
Watch Birds In..." series.

PICA PRESS I know little about.

Cheers

Julian