birding-aus

Pronouncing latin names of Parrots correctly

To: John Graff <>
Subject: Pronouncing latin names of Parrots correctly
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 17:06:07 +1100
The latin roots of the words usually give a good indicator of how they are
pronounced.
For example,  Neophema is comprised of Neo and phema.
Matrix fans should know how to prounouce Neo,   and phema is a familar
pronunciation to most americans being the same as FEMA.   ;)

Hi Don,

I pronounce Polytelis as Polly - tell - is/us

and Neophema as Nee - o - fee - ma

However, I've no idea if these are the 'proper' pronunciation

Cheers,

John