birding-aus

RFI: Birding Timor Leste

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Birding Timor Leste
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:06:34 +1100
I've got no immediate plans to visit Timor Leste but now that the
country is promoting itself for tourism, I've started to think about
it. I've had a look at my usual overseas birding information sources
and, well, there's very little there. That's pretty reasonable
considering the unfortunate conditions the people of Timor Leste have
endured for the last few decades. I'm writing in to see if anyone has
first-hand (or even good second-hand) knowledge of travel and birding
conditions in the country.

What I've learned so far:
* There is a guide book adapted from "Birds of Wallacea" that is
specifically for Timor Leste. I have "Birds of Wallacea" but it's a
bit huge - I figure I'll send Andrew Isles the $20 for the smaller
book.

* I've checked the BirdLife IBA summary for Timor Leste and it's
pretty thin. Many of the sites listed are effectively without any
survey data - I noticed one citing survey work done by Ernst Mayr in
the 1940's! (Now there was a field naturalist, he was wandering around
PNG in the '30's and lived to over 100.)

* I've not found any trip reports on Timor Leste.

* The birding sounds potentially fantastic - Timor is the second
largest island in Wallacea, a region I'd love to visit as it blends
our Australian families with a lot of families that don't cross or
much cross 'the Wallace Line'.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated.

David Adams
Wallaga Lake, NSW 2546