birding-aus

lewin's rail & wallum fires

To: <>
Subject: lewin's rail & wallum fires
From: "ninderry" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:54:52 +1000
Late yesterday I had no fewer than 4 Lewin's Rails calling from dense wallum
heath in the Peregian section of Noosa National Park on the Sunshine Coast.
One bird offered brief glimpses.

I have recorded this species on several occasions further north in similar
habitat at Cooloola where, by the way, I saw a Brush Bronzewing on Tuesday
as it flew across the Rainbow Beach road. There has been a bit of discussion
of late about the recent fires at Cooloola. I can confirm that the fires did
sweep through much of the area in the Teewah Creek catchment that is
regarded as a stronghold for Southern Emu-Wren and Ground Parrot, although,
as has been pointed out, some fire is necessary for the management of these
species.

At the same time that I saw the Lewin's Rails yesterday, I also surveyed
unsuccessfully for Ground Parrots for the second time in an area where they
were once common. There was no indication of any birds being present. The
area of heath in question was very dense, having not been burnt for
obviously some considerable time. The jury is still out of course on the
kind of fire management regimes for species such as Ground Parrot and
Eastern Bristlebird.

Greg Roberts