birding-aus

Black-breasted Button Quail in NSW

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-breasted Button Quail in NSW
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:25:41 +1100
Graham,
As far as I know, the last records claimed for NSW were collected by various
CSIRO people during the EIS for State Forests in the Murwillumbah region. Most
were in Mebbin SF (now NP) with other records in Wollumbin and Border Ranges
NP. I usually visit Mebbin at least once each Christmas but I have not even
seen diggings (if they are like Inskip Point they hould be obvious) athough I
may not be in the right area (I usually do the fig tree walk to pick up a few
rainforest species for my annual list). Forty Spur Road is a vague name that
rings a bell, but I am not certain if that is even open any more (NP closed
many of the tracks to stop 4WDs going rampant).
I would suggest this may be the best place to try, particularly in the evening
to listen for calls, but I wouldn't hold your breath about getting them there.
There are older records further west in Border Range and Tooloom NP but they
are in the 1980s or earlier.
Cheers,
Peter