birding-aus

RE: Heron bird ids

To: "'e finley'" <>
Subject: RE: Heron bird ids
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 01:19:50 +1100
G'day Eric,

Sorry, I agree my response should have including an explanation, I was a bit
distracted by the Black-naped Tern wings.
First off the bird is a juv because you can see remnant pale fringing along
with faint dark scalloping on wing and upper-parts. Adults are plain and
unmarked in these areas.
I will give you three features that make it a Wandering starting with the
most important.

1- Lacks obvious pale supercilium behind the eye.
2- Dark feathering along flanks protrudes noticeably below and along lower
edge of wing, generally covered by wing in Grey-tailed.
3- White throat restricted and more discrete, finishing at lower throat
rather than streaking/merging into upper breast. This feature isn't that
obvious here but I can see it because I know what to look for. If you were
able to have your time over again with the bird in the field you would also
be able to see it as the bird moved around. This is a newish feature and
works for all age birds.

Thanks once again for posting these interesting photographs, Cheers Jeff.