birding-aus

Outback adventure for Letter-winged Kites - a once in a life time trip

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Outback adventure for Letter-winged Kites - a once in a life time trip
From: robert morris <>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:47:18 +0000
Chris Sanderson, Stuart Warren, Damien Farine and I just completed a fantastic
trip along the Strzelecki (southern end), the Birdsville Track to a current
'hotspot' & the Flinders Ranges over the last 3 days. We saw the following good
birds:

3 Letter-winged Kites at a small colony (3 nests)
2 Adult Grey Falcons, 1 Black Falcon
10000+ Flock Bronzewings
20 Inland Dotterels, 20 Australian Pratincoles
Yellow (3 inc. 2 male), Orange, Crimson and Gibber Chats (2)
Grey (8), Eyrean, Thick-billed and Short-tailed Grasswren
Chestnut-breasted whiteface
Redthroat, Rufous Fieldwrens
Pied, Black & White-fronted Honeyeaters
White-backed Swallows
Lots of other commoner outback stuff!

The weather was warm but not too hot - but the temperatures certainly seem to
be rising.

Only one Aussie lifer for me - but this was the best outback birding I've done
in Auz! I'll post a few photos later in the week, as I'm sure will Chris
Sanderson.

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia