birding-aus

Little Stint (South Drainage Lake, Woorinen VIC) follow up

Subject: Little Stint (South Drainage Lake, Woorinen VIC) follow up
From: Peter Lansley <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 18:20:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

birding-aus, Peter Ewin wrote:

<snip>
The assumption that the South Darinage Lake was what is called North Lake (of
course) on Google I headed to Lake Road on the south side of the lake. Very few
birds about with Masked Lapwing and Silver Gull definite and probably
Red-capped
Plover way off in the heat/salt haze. Maybe I had the wrong spot but it was
worth
the detour.
<snip>

Unfortunately you had the wrong lake, Peter (you could have emailed me and I
would
happily have forwarded you the details). For the record, there are (at least)
four lakes in the Woorinen complex situated 15 to 20 km northwest of Swan Hill,
in
north-western Victoria. Working from the Murray Valley Highway southwards we
have,
Highway Lake, South Drainage Lake, North Lake and Hollaway's Lake. So, South
Drainage Lake is the one immediately south of White Road. The terminology I
used for
the northern two lakes that are not named in Google Earth, follows that used by
the
management authority for the lakes, Goulburn-Murray Water.

The Little Stint was at 722076mE, 6098459mN in zone 54 (WGS 84 datum) +/- 50
metres
using UTM co-ordinates (that is, 35deg13'56.5" 143deg26'25.2" using lat/longs.
GDA 94
datum is more or less the same (within 2 metres) as WGS 84 for hand held GPS.
The site
is just beyond the fence line going from the road at the northernmost point of
the lake, south
along the western shoreline.

I have now uploaded a cropped photo of the bird to Eremaea for those
interested.
There is no further information on whether or not the Little Stint is still
there
because we had to get back to Melbourne on Tuesday, and as far as I know, no
other
birders have since visited the site.

Cheers, Peter.