birding-aus

Wildiaries versus Flickr

To: <>
Subject: Wildiaries versus Flickr
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:23:26 +0000
Dave,

No room on this forum for taking such suggestions badly...this is a very
fruitful and informative discussion. Birding-aus has, in the last few months,
reached a point of maturity and is providing some very important dialogue on
peak birding matters.

The only things I would say are:

1. There is no excuse these days for data being lost. Feeding data to a
conservation group is a synch. However, backing up isn't always something that
is done properly.
2. It isn't always that east to give away data freely. In fact, trying to sell
something 'free' is more difficult than you may imagine. I know it was many
years before Eremaea's data started to be seen as something useful.
3. Conservation groups are also ephemeral, but mostly in terms of funding.
Occasional funding, however large, will always result in something that is
great to start with but can easily flop later. In fact, the impetus to keep it
up depends on the individuals who run it, so it's not that different to the
'hobby' sites you refer to.

For my part, a solid business plan, good understanding of social networking,
and highly diverse potential is the key to success. I am quite excited about
where all this might head in the next couple of years.

Cheers,

Simon.