birding-aus

Nepean Weir sightings

Subject: Nepean Weir sightings
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:07:27 +1100
Hi Akos,

I am not a Birdline moderator, but as a keen supporter of the Birdlines and
also an interested party to the recent thread on a rare bird alert system I
thought I'd offer my two bob's worth on this one.

I don't suppose that anyone thought your sighting of a Superb Lyrebird was
in any way "boring". I would not equate "not unusual or rare" with boring in
any way. As a keen bird watcher, I take as much pleasure in seeing common
birds, or indeed special birds like a lyrebird doing their thing as I do in
seeing something rare. And being familiar with some of your photos, I'm sure
that you feel the same way.

However, the purpose of Birdline is "for the reporting of rare or unusual
birds outside their normal range, unusually high or low numbers, early or
late arrivals or departures for migrant species and interesting behaviour or
unusual habitat usage" (quoting the website). So whilst your lyrebird may
not have fallen into any of these categories, some of your other sightings
may well have - I don't know about Nepean Weir, but if we were to have two
Black Bitterns flying in formation in Melbourne, you can be damn sure *that*
sighting would be reported to Birdline.

On the other hand, birding-aus is the perfect forum for reporting or noting
sightings, experiences and generally discussing birds, birding and all
things related.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria