birding-aus

pagers

To: "'Julian Bielewicz'" <>, <>
Subject: pagers
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:11:06 +1100
G'day Julian,

I don't recall anyone claiming that "we already have something better,
brighter and more efficient than the Poms, or Dutch for that matter,  could
ever dream up". Birding in the UK and Europe is way ahead of anything
happening in Australia, from any angle you care to look at it and it has
been that way for decades. There may well be a place for a pager-like system
in Australia and I would be surprised if a system didn't eventuate some day.
But from a practical point of view as you have already mentioned the
distances in Australia present an entirely different situation than that you
which you encountered in the UK. A more comparable situation would be if
your pager had of covered all of Europe and the White stork was in Poland
(not that a White Stork in Poland would set of an alarm but you get my
drift). A pager system in Australia would not just be for the local patches
like the Western treatment Plant in Melbourne but would be for those of us
who have the resources to jump on a plane when a rarity turns up at Broome
or Christmas Island for that matter and the numbers of people in that
category is definitely growing and will someday reach critical mass to
justify a pager system, it's inevitable some day. The alternative, which
would be more in keeping with your "within driving distance" experience in
the UK would be a number of State based systems along with a national one,
and a subscriber would determine their level of involvement. There are lots
of practical and cost issues to consider in all of this.
So let's keep our comments in this discussion accurate and avoid false
accusations.

Cheers Jeff.