birding-aus

Rare Bird Alert Website

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Rare Bird Alert Website
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:57:15 +1100
Laurie,

I think there would be a problem with a pager system such as this. I think, and would be happy to be corrected, that Telstra, in their wisdom, axed their pager service some years ago. The only pager systems in Australia now are private local and private area networks. The LAN's are generally restricted to sites such as hospitals, while the WANs are used by emergency services, usually by piggy-bqcking the signal on the various emergency service radio networks.

I think Telstra dropped the pager service because they regarded the mobile 'phone service as more "efficient" or perhaps that was more profitable.

There is no reason why a such a service could not be based on text messages to mobiles though.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford