birding-aus

western ground parrot

Subject: western ground parrot
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:27:28 +0800

The Western Ground Parrot is believed to be a full species based on recent DNA analysis as has been reported. It is in extreme risk. Its numbers may only be 110 individuals. It is declining at an alarming rate. In the last 10 years its estimated numbers have halved, and it has disappeared from the Cheyne Beach / Waychinicup area, and its numbers in its former stronghold of the Fitzgerald River NP have dropped severely. Its stronghold (if you can say that for a species in such low numbers) is now Cape Arid NP. Cats are believed to be a major factor, now that 1080 baiting has greatly reduced the fox numbers.

It is one species I haven't seen!! I have assisted in about 20 listening surveys, and heard several. If you did want to see it, then I would suggest that you volunteer for future surveys. Go to the Birds Australia web site, and find the Western Ground Parrot details there. It should be under projects. If not, then go to the Western Australia section and look under projects there.

110 individuals makes it rarer than Jeff Kennett's 'trumped up budgie' (OBP). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that it is likely to jump in front of any wind farms, and so it is extremely difficult to get funding. They are proposing a captive breeding program, plus a very strong feral animal control program. Some funding has been received from Exetel.