birding-aus

Help with ID please

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Help with ID please
From: " Annabel" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 18:15:05 +1100
I live 20kms SE of Tamworth in NSW and have just seen a bird in my garden that looked for all the world like a male shining flycatcher. It would be right out of range if it was.

The bird was hopping on the ground with its long tail cocked like a wren and I got the impression that it was unwell. It was flycatcher size, all over black and the shape of its forehead and bill was right for a flycatcher. The only all over black birds we get here are blackbirds (larger),starlings (short tail), choughs and ravens. We get restless and leaden flycatchers and satins can be found in the higher country beyond Nundle.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Annabel Ashworth