birding-aus

DIY Binocular repairs?

Subject: DIY Binocular repairs?
From: Gordon and Pam Cain <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:53:42 +1100
Hi all,

I can't access the archives -- seem to be down.

Does anyone know of any resources to help me try to do DIY repairs on my binocs?

They aren't a fancy pair, and I can't really afford what it would cost to get a professional to align them (calimnate?) to get a professional to align them.

I've poked around on Google and YouTube, and can't really find much, except from the astronomy folk who tell me to turn little screws that I don't have on the outsides of the barrels

(The story is this:
I bought these at a garage sale about 15 years ago for $18. They are big, but good and reliable. When I first bought them , I took them apart and cleaned the lenses and prisms, etc, put it all back together, made one adjustment, and they've been great ever since -- good light, colour, focus. Until the day the strap broke on the case tehy were in and they hit the asphalt road. . . It knocked them out of alignment. I did try DIY repairs on my own again, but couldn't fluke it so well this time. They ain't working, unless I close one eye!)

Thanks in advance,
Gordon Cain
Schofields, NW Sydney