birding-aus

Slater v 2

Subject: Slater v 2
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:12:46 +1000
Still perusing the new Slater, and found a few more unexpected vagrants included;
Eurasian Hobby ( I thought all had been misidentified?)
Wallace's Fruit-Dove on a boat off WA (!)
White-breasted Whistler as a possible on Saibai- now this quite scarce SE PNG endemic does occur in coastal mangrove as well as savanna, so it might be worth doing a bit of tape playing if there are mangroves on Saibai.

I wish all these vagrants and possibles had been put as a separate section at the back, for everyday purposes they are a distraction, but it is good to have them illustrated. I also wish authors would omit likely vagrants and possibles though, and stick with what is proven.

I thought Pallas's Leaf Warbler might be in error, identifying that in this part of the world from some of the recent splits in that group would be a tall order.

Glad to see Rusty-tailed Gerygone now laid to rest, I wonder how may birders went in search of it, and more to the point, how many found it? What a classic that was, and great detective work from Dick Schodde in clearing it up!
Phil & Sue Gregory
twww.cassowary-house.com.au